S&P Global Market Intelligence presents the top picks of private equity news stories from around the world, as well as other articles published during the week.
In the European energy sector, p is rising rapidly.Separating Equity and Venture Capital Investments The continent is facing an energy crisis triggered by Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
Investments in traditional and renewable energy companies this year have already surpassed the full-year combined for 2021, according to data from S&P Global Market Intelligence. Transactions involving oil, gas and coal companies reached $5.36 billion between Jan. 1 and Sept. 26, nearly 84% more than last year as a whole. Transactions related to renewable businesses during the same period totaled $5.51 billion, almost nine times more than the year. 2021 total.
Meanwhile, curbs on Russia’s natural gas flows are challenging Europe’s ability to meet its energy needs, raising concerns as winter and home heating seasons approach. The African continent is looking for long-term alternatives to Russian gas transportation before rising energy costs threaten its industrial sector.
European energy companies were already moving to renewables and away from fossil fuels before the crisis hit.
Learn more about how the transition to renewable energy is creating private equity buying opportunities.
Chart of the Week: VC Funding Rounds Down Again in September
⮞ Global venture capital investment fell nearly 63% year-on-year in September to $21.82 billion.
⮞ Funding rounds also decreased to 1,438 monthly, down more than 30% from September 2021.
⮞ The largest share of venture capital funding deployed in September went to companies in the technology, media and telecommunications sectors, accounting for 44.5% of the total in September.
Trading and Financing
* An investor group completed the acquisition of Nielsen Holdings PLC for approximately $16 billion in cash, including debt. The group included Evergreen Coast Capital Corp. and Brookfield Business Partners LP, affiliates of Elliott Investment Management LP. The audience measurement, data and analytics firm stopped trading his shares on the NYSE on Oct. 12.
* Thoma Bravo LP to acquire ForgeRock Inc., a digital identity solutions company, for approximately $2.3 billion. The all-cash transaction is likely to close in the first half of 2023.
* Blackstone Inc. donated $500 million to a new global life insurance and annuities integration business. with Resolution Life Group Holdings LP. The partners plan to raise a total of $3 billion in new capital for the business.
* Hy24 has closed its Clean H2 Infra Fund, focused on low-carbon hydrogen, with a capital commitment of €2 billion. Hy24 is a joint venture between Ardian and FiveT Hydrogen.
Elsewhere in the Industry
* Actis LLP has completed the sale of independent renewable energy developer Atlas Renewable Energy to Global Infrastructure Management LLC.
* Warburg Pincus LLC has agreed to acquire a majority stake in Vistaar Finance through an affiliate of a private equity fund it manages. WestBridge Capital Partners LLC, Elevar Equity LLC, Omidyar Network Services LLC, and Saama Capital are selling stakes in the company, an Indian lender.
* An investment vehicle advised by Acathia Capital GmbH increased its co-ownership of Swedish life insurance company Futur Pension Försäkrings from 30% to around 50%.
* Completed acquisition by TPG Capital LP and Clayton Dubilier & Rice LLC animal health technology and services company Covetrus Co., Ltd.
* Palatine Private Equity LLP invested in UK-based digital health care services company Redmoor Health Ltd. through Impact Fund.
* Vezeeta, an Egyptian healthcare technology company, has completed a funding round led by Gulf Capital, with participation from VNV Global.
*RHematology platform Center for Rheumatology secures investment from Veronis Suhler StevensonAlso VSS Capital Partners.